Zia’s 81st birth anniversary being observed
Dhaka : The 81st birth anniversary of late President and BNP’s founder Ziaur Rahman is being celebrated today.
BNP and its associate bodies have taken up elaborate programmes to observe the day. The programmes include hoisting of the party flag atop its offices, placing wreaths and arranging discussion and free medical camp.
BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia, the widow of the party founder, along with its leaders and activists placed wreaths at the grave of Ziaur Rahman at Sher-e-Bangla Nagar around 11.30am.
BNP arranged a discussion on the life of Ziaur Rahman on Wednesday at Mohanagar Natyamancha.
BNP’s associate organisations and district committees have also chalked out various programmes, including discussion and milad mahfil, to mark the day.
Doctors’ Association of Bangladesh (Dab) arranged a free medical camp and voluntary blood donation on the ground floor of BNP’s Nayapaltan central office from 9am to 3pm on Thursday.
Besides, BNP acting secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir issued a message on the occasion showing profound homage to late Zia. He prayed for the salvation of his departed soul.
Zia rose to power on November 7, 1975 following the coup of mid-August and the counter-coup of November 3. In April 1977, he took over the state power as president from Justice ASM Sayem.
Zia was assassinated in a coup by some army officers at Chittagong Circuit House on the night of May 30, 1981. Since then, BNP is headed by his wife Khaleda Zia.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem