Voting continues peacefully in 14 upazilas
DHAKA : People of 14 upazilas are casting their votes in a peaceful environment to elect the chairmen and vice-chairmen and some vacant posts of their respective upazila parishads.
The voting under the new Election Commission (EC) began this morning at 8am and will continue till 4pm without any break.
Among the 14 upazillas in 12 districts, fresh elections are being held in Osmaninagar of Sylhet, Guimara of Khagrachhari and Jagannathpur of Sunamganj to elect the chairmen and vice-chairmen posts. People in the remaining 11 upazila parishads are casting their votes to fill some vacant posts while voters in four municipalities in four districts are casting their votes in by-polls for electing either mayor or councillor posts.
By-election for chairman post are being held at Kurigram Sadar, Sujanagar in Pabna, Banaripara and Gournadi in Barisal, Kathalia in Jhalakathi, Rangabali in Patuakhali, Adarsh Nagar in Comilla, Boraigram in Natore and Hoshenpur in Kishorganj.
By-polls for vice-chairman post are being held in Chauddagram in Comilla, Jaldhaka in Nilphamari, Kalaroa in Satkhira and Morelganj in Bagerhat while female vice chairman post will hold at Ishwardi in Pabna and Comilla Sadar south Upazila.
The candidates from major parties including Awami League, Jatiya Party and BNP are contesting in the polls.
EC Secretary Mohammad Abdullah told reporters yesterday that the new commission had taken all preparation to hold the election in a free and fair manner.
He said the EC would take stern action against the wrongdoers, but no action would be taken without specific and proper evidences.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem