Visitors throng book fair with spirit of Amar Ekushey
DHAKA : All walks of life flocked to the month-long Book Fair on the premises of Bangla Academy and the Suhrawardy Udyan with spirit of Amar Ekushey as the nation is set to observe the ‘Shaheed Dibash’ and the International Mother Language Day tomorrow.
This year’s book fair that began February 1 already has drawn a huge number of crowds today soaring sales of books on different genres of literature and other areas of knowledge.
The stall attendants were seen busy dealing with the visitors and big smiles flashed on the face of the publishers as the holiday crowds flocked to different stalls and pavilions.
On the 20th day of the book fair, as many as 94 new books have arrived while covers of 38 new books were unveiled, a press release of Bangla Academy said today.
They said a large number of crowds are expected to throng the book fair as the ‘Shaheed Dibash’ and the International Mother Language Day will be observed tomorrow.
Professor Dr Ratan Siddique said, “The Amar Ekushey Book has now become a festival of all ages of people. This is a great success of the book fair.”
Recalling his memories about the book fair during his early life, he said, “This book fair was held in a limited scale….. Gradually the fair is widening its scale because of huge response of writers, book lovers and publishing houses.”
The people of all ages eagerly keep waiting for the fair throughout year to buy new books of their favorite writers, share and exchange on literary works, Dr Ratan added.
Bangladesh Udichi Shilpigoshthi has set up a stall on the premises of Bangla Academy to highlight its countrywide activities, Arif Noor of Udichi told BSS.
Udichi has launched a month-long “Bhasha Avijatra” on February 3 aiming to introduce Bangla language for all official uses. “We are launching our campaign to promote universal uses of Bangla language from our stall at the book fair.”
Apart from Bangla Academy premises, around 400,000 square feet area on Suhrawardy Udyan have been earmarked for the fair, Bangla Academy Director General Shamsuzzaman Khan told BSS.
The Suhrawardy Udyan has been decorated with 12 divisions. Some 663 units have been allotted to 409 institutions at the academy and on Suhrawardy Udyan premises.
Besides, 14 publishing houses including Bangla Academy got 15 pavilions covering an area of total 6,000 square feet. Some 100 little magazines have been allocated spaces at the Little Magazine Corner, south side of Burdwan House on the academy premises.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem