Veteran Indian actor Om Puri passes away at the age of 66
Entertainment Desk : Veteran Indian actor Om Puri died on Friday morning of a heart attack at his residence in Mumbai, a family friend said. He was 66.
Filmmaker Vivek Agnihotri, who was to direct the actor in his new movie, told IANS over phone: “It is very sad news. Om Puri-ji passed away after a heart attack today (Friday) morning. He was at his home.”
“His body of work in the Indian film industry has been tremendous across the commercial and parallel genres. We’ve lost a great talent.”
Actor Anupam Kher, a close friend of Om Puri, said he had spoken to him only two days ago. He had heard the sad news of his death from filmmaker Ashoke Pandit.
Anupam described Om Puri as a “kind and generous” person, who spent four decades in showbiz with an undying passion towards his craft.
A Padma Shri awardee and National Award-winning talent, Om Puri was also granted the title Honorary Officer of the Order of the British Empire for services to the British film industry.
His work extended from theatre, television, Indian films to those in Britain and the US. He was president of the Cine & TV Artistes’ Association (CINTAA) and a former chairman of the National Film Development Corporation (NFDC).
A tweet on behalf of Prime Minister Narendra Modi read: “The Prime Minister condoles the passing away of actor Om Puri and recalls his long career in theatre and films.”
More News »
- Watch! Shahid-Kangana's steamy romance in 'Yeh Ishq Hai'
- See the Hottest celebrity bikini bodies (Photo Gallery)
- Lock your lips in these many ways
- Celebrities Who Love Watching Porn
- Actor Kalyan Corraya gets bail
- Want to reduce your BP and cholesterol, start eating blue maize
- Jewelleries that can dazzle your look, this 2017!
- President for highlighting country's history, heritage in film
- Wear your leather jacket stylishly
- Busting common myths about sunglasses
- Affleck's sex scenes with Miller ended in tears
- Finding love, not money, key to a happy life
- Contraceptives do not kill sexual desire
- Sonam hates removing make-up after parties!
- ‘Dangal’ inching closer to 350 Crore mark, creates HISTORY