Veteran Indian actor Om Puri passes away at the age of 66
Entertainment Desk : Veteran Indian actor Om Puri died on Friday morning of a heart attack at his residence in Mumbai, a family friend said. He was 66.
Filmmaker Vivek Agnihotri, who was to direct the actor in his new movie, told IANS over phone: “It is very sad news. Om Puri-ji passed away after a heart attack today (Friday) morning. He was at his home.”
“His body of work in the Indian film industry has been tremendous across the commercial and parallel genres. We’ve lost a great talent.”
Actor Anupam Kher, a close friend of Om Puri, said he had spoken to him only two days ago. He had heard the sad news of his death from filmmaker Ashoke Pandit.
Anupam described Om Puri as a “kind and generous” person, who spent four decades in showbiz with an undying passion towards his craft.
A Padma Shri awardee and National Award-winning talent, Om Puri was also granted the title Honorary Officer of the Order of the British Empire for services to the British film industry.
His work extended from theatre, television, Indian films to those in Britain and the US. He was president of the Cine & TV Artistes’ Association (CINTAA) and a former chairman of the National Film Development Corporation (NFDC).
A tweet on behalf of Prime Minister Narendra Modi read: “The Prime Minister condoles the passing away of actor Om Puri and recalls his long career in theatre and films.”
More News »
- সকাল বেলা যে খাবারে ছেলেদের বীর্যের পরিমান বেশি হয়। জানুন কিভাবে খাবেন। ছেলেদের জানা দরকার।
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby