US Secret Service chief to retire
WASHINGTON : US Secret Service chief Joseph Clancy will retire in early March, the elite agency tasked with protecting the US president said Tuesday.
A former head of US President Barack Obama’s detail, Clancy returned from a previous retirement to steer the agency two years ago, amid outcry over several security lapses at the White House that tarnished the agency’s image.
Clancy — who prior to his first retirement had served the agency for nearly three decades — will officially step down once more on March 4, and new US President Donald Trump will appoint his successor.
The Secret Service, made up of some 6,500 people, is also responsible for the security of former presidents and vice presidents, as well as foreign heads of state and government on official visits.
Since the 1968 assassination of Robert Kennedy, it has additionally
protected presidential candidates.
The agency has suffered a string of embarrassing scandals, including a 2014 high-profile incident in which a mentally disturbed veteran scaled the fence and burst into the White House with a knife.
The former head of the agency, Julia Pierson, resigned in the wake of that scandal.
She had initially been appointed to clean up the service after a dozen agents were found to have hired prostitutes during a 2012 presidential trip to Colombia.
More News »
- iPhone 7 goes red to help fight AIDS
- Men more prone to infertility due to less sleep
- Afternoon power nap can boost employees creativity
- Twinkle’s Witty COMMENT on Karan- Kangana Fight
- ``Been inappropriately touched on Holi''
- Why midnight snacking is unhealthy
- Bad Dating Behaviors That Guys Really Hate
- 8 Reasons Why the Middle Child Is the Best Child
- Natalie Portman gives birth to a girl
- Shaon files case against Bunty
- Censor certificate ‘No Bed of Roses’ for Tisha, Irrfan Khan-starrer ‘Doob’
- Mahi’s self-proclaimed husband Shawon acquitted
- What good is playing female genitalia
- Baahubali 2: Prabhas, Anushka Shetty in artistic new poster
- Is your boyfriend secretly accessing your Facebook account?