Trial proceedings of Niko graft case against Khaleda Zia to continue
Dhaka : The Appellate Division of Supreme Court issued order to continue the processes of the trial in Niko corruption case filed against Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) Chairperson Khaleda Zia by Anti-corruption Commission (ACC).
A three-member appellate bench led by Chief Justice Surendra Kumar Sinha on Thursday issued the order after discharging a rule issued by the High Court staying the trial process.
The other members of the bench are Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain and Justice Hassan Foyez Siddique.
Earlier, on 7 March, a High Court bench comprising Justice Sheikh Abdul Awal, and Justice Mohammad Khashruzzaman stayed the trial process and filed a rule petition asking as to why the lower court’s order over staying the trail procedures would not be canceled.
The court also asked government and Anti-corruption commission (ACC) to response the rule by four weeks.
Earlier in the morning, Khelda Zia filed an appeal petition seeking to cancel and withdraw the trial procedures.
On 15 December 2016, Khaleda Zia filed appeal petition with the lower court seeking the cancellation of Niko Graft Case. However, the court rejected the petition.
On 11 December 2016, a four-member bench of the Appellate Division headed by Chief Justice Surendra Kumar Sinha, upheld a High Court order that stayed the trial proceedings against Moudud Ahmed in the Niko graft case for eight weeks.
The apex court also asked the High Court bench led by Justice M Enayetur Rahim to dispose by 19 January next a High Court rule that asked the authorities to explain why the proceeding of this case will not be scrapped.
On 1 December, HC stayed the trial proceedings against the BNP leader in the case for eight weeks.
The ACC on 9 December, 2007 filed the Niko graft case against Moudud and four others in connection with a Tk 137.77 loss to the national exchequer caused by the signing of an oil-gas exploration agreement with Niko during the previous BNP regime.
Later on 5 May, 2008, it submitted the chargesheet against 11 people.
On 9 July, 2008, the High Court adjourned the proceedings of the case.
More News »
- সকাল বেলা যে খাবারে ছেলেদের বীর্যের পরিমান বেশি হয়। জানুন কিভাবে খাবেন। ছেলেদের জানা দরকার।
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby