Transport strike in Sylhet hits business hard
Sylhet District Microbus Workers’ Association on Saturday enforced an indefinite transport strike in Sylhet demanding the release of its three arrested workers.
Vehicular movement across the district came to a halt as the workers took position at several key points in different areas, including the city in the morning, disrupting the movement of people and hitting the business hard. No long-route buses or trucks left the city today.
The transport workers also staged demonstrations and burnt tyres on the city streets.
Association president Shah Ripon Ahmmed said Detective Branch (DB) of police arrested their three workers on Friday evening. They also beat up several workers as they protested the arrest and seized a pick-up van.
Following the arrest, a chase and counter-chase took place between the police and workers that left 10 workers injured.
Around 11:30pm on Friday, they announced their strike programme. “The strike will continue until our demand is met,” Ripon warned.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem