Suranjit’s wife Joya gets AL ticket
Dhaka : Ruling Awami League has picked Dr Joya Sengupta, widow of late Awami League lawmaker Suranjit Sengupta, as its candidate in the upcoming by-election to Sunamganj-2 constituency.
It has also nominated Anjum Sultana for Comilla City Corporation polls.
The decisions were taken at the joint meeting of AL Parliamentary Board (ALPB) and AL selection board for local government election held at Ganobhaban on Sunday with its President Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in the chair.
The meeting also decided to back Abdul Matin Bhuiyan in the by-election to Narsingdi District Council for the chairman post.
Election to Comilla City Corporation and the by-election to Sunamganj-2 constituency that fell vacant following the death of Awami League lawmaker Suranjit Sengupta will be held on March 30.
According to the schedule, the deadline for submission of nomination papers for Comilla City Corporation election is March 2 while the dates for scrutiny of the nomination papers are March 5 and 6, and the last date for withdrawal of candidature is March 14.
As per the election schedule for Sunamganj-2 (Dirai-Shalla) constituency, the deadline for submission of nomination papers is March 2 while March 5 has been fixed for scrutiny of nomination papers and the last date for withdrawal of candidature is March 13.
In the 2nd election to Comilla City Corporation, a total of 207,384 voters – 102,329 males and 105,055 females — will be allowed to exercise their voting rights to elect their city mayor, 27 general councillors and nine women councillors (from reserve seats).
The possible number of polling station is 421 under the city’s 27 wards.
The five-year tenure of Comilla City Corporation expired on February 9 last.
In the by-polls to Sunamganj-2 constituency, a total of 252,430 voters – 126,228 men and 126,202 women — will be allowed to exercise their franchise to elect the member of parliament (MP).
The possible number of polling stations is 110 under the constituency comprised of Dirai municipality and 13 Union Parishads –nine unions of Dirai Upazila and four unions of Shalla upazila.
Narsingdi District Council chairman Advocate Asaduzzaman died of cardiac arrest on February 1.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem