Search Committee to invite five more noted citizens
DHAKA : Search Committee, formed to constitute Election Commission, will invite five more noted citizens of the country for a view-exchange on Wednesday, said Cabinet Secretary Mohammad Shafiul Alam.
He told this to newsmen today after emerging from a view-exchange meeting with 12 noted citizens at Supreme Court Judges Lounge here.
The five citizens to be invited are former Chief Election Commissioner Mohammad Abu Hena, Barrister Rokon Uddin Mahmud, Daily Star Editor Mahfuz Anam, Daily Samakal Editor Golam Sarwar and security expert Major General (redt) Abdur Rashid.
The cabinet secretary said the next view exchange will be held at the SC Judges Lounge at 3am Wednesday.
About the today’s meeting Shafiul Alam said the 12 citizens suggested for including honest, able, neutral and non-partisan persons to constitute the EC.
He said no political party has yet responded to the search committee’s request to submit five names from each party. Time for submission of the names has been extended to 3 pm instead of 11 am tomorrow, he said.
After getting the lists of names from political parties, the committee will sit in a meeting at 4pm tomorrow at the same place.
The 12-citiznes who joined today’s meeting were Justice Md Abdur Rashid, Dhaka University (DU) former vice-chancellors Professor AK Azad Chowdhury and SMA Fayez, Human Rights activist Sultana Kamal, former Chief Election Commissioner ATM Shamsul Huda, former election commissioners Brig Gen (retd) M Shakhawat Hossain and Sohul Hussain, Local Government specialist Dr Tofail Ahmed, DU teachers Professor Sirajul Islam Chowdhury and Abul Kashem Fazlul Haque, former Inspector General of Police Nurul Huda and Sushasoner Jonno Nagorik (Sujan) General Secretary Badiul Alam Majumder.
Appellate Division judge Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain led the meeting, joined by the rest five members of the search committee.
They are High Court judge Justice Obaidul Hassan, Public Service Commission Chairman Mohammad Sadiq, Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) Masud Ahmed, Dhaka University English Department Professor Syed Manzoorul Islam and Pro Vice-Chancellor of Chittagong University Shireen Akhter.
On Wednesday, President Abdul Hamid formed a six-member search committee, headed by Supreme Court’s Appellate Division judge Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain, for reconstituting the new Election Commission (EC).
The search committee will recommend two names against each post, including at least a woman, to President Abdul Hamid within 10 working days for appointing the Chief Election Commissioner and other commissioners.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem