Search Committee sits with four eminent citizens
Dhaka : The search committee sit with four more eminent citizens in Bangladesh on Wednesday to elicit their opinions on formation of the new Election Commission (EC).
The body is holding the meeting with four noted citizen of the country at about 11:00am at the Supreme Court Judges’ Lounge.
The four eminent citizens are—former Chief Election Commissioner Mohammad Abu Hena, Barrister Rokonuddin Mahmud, Daily Samakal editor Golam Sarwar, and Daily Star editor Mahfuz Anam.
On 30 January, the committee invited the important citizens to join the meeting.
Earlier, on the day, the search committee held a two-hour meeting with 12 distinguished citizens at the same venue.
They are former High Court Division Judge Abdur Rashid, former Dhaka University vice-chancellors AK Azad Chowdhury and SMA Faiz, Prof Emeritus Serajul Islam Choudhury, DU supernumerary Prof Abul Kashem Fazlul Haque, former chief election commissioner ATM Shamsul Huda, former election commissioners Muhammed Sohul Hussain and Muhammad Sakhawat Hussain, lawyer and rights campaigner Sultana Kamal, local government expert Tofayel Ahmed, former inspector general of police Nurul Huda and Sushashoner Jonno Nagorik Secretary Badiul Alam Majumder.
During their discussion, the noted citizens suggested forming the next EC with honest, competent, nonpartisan and neutral people.
On 25 January, President Abdul Hamid formed a six-member search committee, headed by Supreme Court’s Appellate Division judge Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain, for reconstituting the Election Commission (EC).
The search committee held its first meeting on Saturday asking each of the 31 political parties which took part in talks with the President over formation of the next EC to propose five names by 11:00am on Tuesday.
The committee also requested 12 noted citizens to give their opinions on the EC formation at its next meeting today.
However, no party submitted any name to the search panel as of Monday afternoon.
The cabinet secretary said political parties will be asked to submit names until 3:00pm Tuesday.
‘Four more hours for submitting the names has been extended. The political parties can submit names to the Cabinet Division by 3:00pm.’
More News »
- সকাল বেলা যে খাবারে ছেলেদের বীর্যের পরিমান বেশি হয়। জানুন কিভাবে খাবেন। ছেলেদের জানা দরকার।
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby