Search body seeks names for EC from political parities
DHAKA : The Search Committee constituted by President Abdul Hamid in its maiden meeting today sought names form political parties for the next election commission.
“The committee asked the parties to send the names by January 31,” cabinet secretary Mohammad Shafiul Alam told newsmen after the meeting of the committee at Judges’ Lounge of the Supreme Court Building.
As the nominated spokesman of the committee, Alam said letters were set to be sent to 31 registered political parties which took part in the dialogue called by the president to seek their opinions about the formation of the next election commission.
He said each of the parties could propose as high as five names for the commission.
The top bureaucrat of the government said the meeting began at 11 am and continued for nearly two hours when the search committee members also fixed their modus operandi.
Alam said five members of the search committee were present in the meeting which also decided to sit with 12 distinguished civil society figures at the Supreme Court Judges’ Lounge at 4 pm on Monday.
Alam said three of the five search committee members can hold the meeting.
Officials familiar with the meeting said the search committee would hand over a list of 10 persons to the president Abdul Hamid within 10 working days.
Later the President will then appoint the Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) and other Election Commissioners from those names.
Appellate Division judge Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain chaired the meeting, joined by the rest five members of the committee.
They are High Court judge Justice Obaidul Hassan, Public Service Commission Chairman Mohammad Sadiq, Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) Masud Ahmed, Dhaka University English Department Professor Syed Manzoorul Islam and Pro Vice-Chancellor of Chittagong University Shireen Akhter.
The tenure of current Election Commission, headed by Kazi Rakib Uddin Ahmad, will be over on February 8. The tenure of a commissioner, AKM Shahnewaz, however, will end on February 15.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem