SC upholds stay on graft case proceedings against Abbas
DHAKA : The Appellate Division of the Supreme Court (SC) today upheld a High Court order that stayed proceedings of a graft case against BNP leader Mirza Abbas.
“A four-member apex court panel headed by Chief Justice Surendra Kumar Sinha passed the order while dismissing a leave to appeal petition of ACC against the High Court order,” Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) counsel Khurshed Alam Khan told the newsmen.
Earlier on December 27, 2016, the Appellate Division chamber judge court sent the matter to full bench and had fixed today for holding hearing on it.
Earlier on December 14, the High Court stayed the proceedings of the case for three months. It also issued a rule asking as to why the court shall not revoke the indictment order in the graft case against Abbas. The ACC later filed an appeal with the apex court against that order.
ACC in 2014 filed the case against Abbas for embezzling Taka 15.52 crore while allotting plots to journalists during his tenure as housing and public works minister. Dhaka Special Judge Court-4 framed charges against the BNP leader in the case on October 20 in 2016.
More News »
- Censor certificate ‘No Bed of Roses’ for Tisha, Irrfan Khan-starrer ‘Doob’
- Mahi’s self-proclaimed husband Shawon acquitted
- What good is playing female genitalia
- Baahubali 2: Prabhas, Anushka Shetty in artistic new poster
- Is your boyfriend secretly accessing your Facebook account?
- How to master the first date
- Madonna applies to adopt 2 kids
- Hollywood set for Oscars picks with no big surprises
- ‘Nayok Raj’ Razzak turns 76
- Skincare routine for grooms
- 5 Upcoming Bollywood Movies
- Sushmita Sen will judge the 65th Miss Universe pageant
- Watch! Shahid-Kangana's steamy romance in 'Yeh Ishq Hai'
- See the Hottest celebrity bikini bodies (Photo Gallery)
- Lock your lips in these many ways