SC upholds stay on graft case proceedings against Abbas
DHAKA : The Appellate Division of the Supreme Court (SC) today upheld a High Court order that stayed proceedings of a graft case against BNP leader Mirza Abbas.
“A four-member apex court panel headed by Chief Justice Surendra Kumar Sinha passed the order while dismissing a leave to appeal petition of ACC against the High Court order,” Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) counsel Khurshed Alam Khan told the newsmen.
Earlier on December 27, 2016, the Appellate Division chamber judge court sent the matter to full bench and had fixed today for holding hearing on it.
Earlier on December 14, the High Court stayed the proceedings of the case for three months. It also issued a rule asking as to why the court shall not revoke the indictment order in the graft case against Abbas. The ACC later filed an appeal with the apex court against that order.
ACC in 2014 filed the case against Abbas for embezzling Taka 15.52 crore while allotting plots to journalists during his tenure as housing and public works minister. Dhaka Special Judge Court-4 framed charges against the BNP leader in the case on October 20 in 2016.
More News »
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem
- Indian classical singing legend Kishori Amonkar passes away at 84
- iPhone 7 goes red to help fight AIDS