SC upholds HC order rejecting Kader Siddique’s plea to contest Tangail-4 by-polls
The Appellate Division of the Supreme Court (SC) on Wednesday upheld the High Court (HC) order rejecting Krishak Sramik Janata League president Kader Siddique’s plea for participating in the Tangail-4 by-election, UNB reports.
The full bench of the Appellate Division, led by Chief Justice SK Sinha, passed the order in the morning.
As per the order of the Appellate Division, Kader Siddique can not take part in the by-election for Tangail-4 constituency, clearing the way to hold the election, said Election Commission (EC) lawyer Barrister M Yasin Khan.
On September 1, 2015, Awami League MP of Tangail-4 Abdul Latif Siddique resigned in the face of widespread criticism for his derogatory remarks over hajj.
Later, the EC fixed November 10 in the same year for holding the by-polls in the constituency.
The returning officer on October 13 cancelled the nomination paper of Kader Siddique on the ground of loan default.
The Krishak Shramik Janata League leader appealed with the EC against the decision, but the commission rejected his plea again.
Following this, Kader filed a writ petition with the HC challenging the legality of the cancellation of his candidature.
Following a government petition against the HC order, the Appellate Division on October 27 stayed the election.
On February 4, 2016, the HC rejected the writ petition.
Later on February 25, he filed a leave-to-appeal with the Supreme Court against the HC order.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem