Rivers in Dhaka, Karnaphuli will be made pollution-free
DHAKA : LGRD and Cooperatives Minister Khondokar Mosharraf Hossain yesterday said rivers in and around the capital Dhaka and the Karnaphuli River in the port city of Chittagong will be made pollution-free by mapping out a coordinated master plan and its immediate implementation.
Mosharraf, who is the chairman of a high-powered committee for preventing river pollution and improving navigability, said this while presiding over the committee’s second meeting at the Local Government Department here.
The Prime Minister has already issued directives to free the rivers surrounding the Dhaka city and the Karnaphuli in Chittagong from pollution to make Dhaka and Chittagong metropolis habitable, the minister said.
Mosharaf laid emphasis on using of surface water by reducing dependence on underground water to fulfill the demand of drinking water to the city dwellers growing rapidly.
“Rivers should be used as the sources of water. If rivers navigability improves and those free from pollution than people would enjoy its direct result,” the minister observed.
He said a technical committee will be formed in coordination with concerned department for making a master plan and its immediate implementation.
The LGRD minister said the illegal river encroachment and pollution from the dumping of both industrial and municipal waste should be stopped to return the normal environment of river flow.
The meeting reviewed the idea paper made by Bangladesh Navy and issued a directive to form a technical committee headed by principal secretary to the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) in this respect.
Water Resources Minister Anisul Islam Mahmood, its members Dhaka South City Mayor Sayeed Khokan, Chief of Naval Staff Admiral M Nizamuddin Ahmed, Chittagong City Corporation Mayor AJM Nasir Hossain, LGRD Secretary Abdul Maleq, Director General (administration) of Prime Minister Office Kabir Bin Anwar, secretaries of concerned ministries were also present.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem