President wraps up EC talks with political parties
DHAKA : Bangabhaban today wrapped up the month-long talks initiated by President Abdul Hamid as part of his move to take opinion of registered political parties over formation of a new Election Commission (EC).
President Hamid initiated formal talks with political parties for constitution of the new EC as the tenure of the current Kazi Rakibuddin Ahmad-led EC expires in February.
“The honourable President would take next steps over formation of Election Commission after reviewing the opinion and proposals of the political parties made during the month-long talks,” President Press Secretary Joynal Abedin told BSS.
The President has had meetings with a total of 31 political parties beginning with BNP on December 18, 2016, he said.
During the month-long talks, the political parties separately placed a series of proposals and most of them proposed making a law for formation of EC.
Ruling Awami League (AL) led by its President and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina met President Abdul Hamid on January 11. AL’s proposals included introduction of e-voting in the next general elections and making a law for formation of EC.
During the talks, BNP put forward a set of proposals for the formation of a search committee and the new EC. It also proposed strengthening the EC and amending the Representation of the People Order (RPO).
Jatiya Party (Ershad) gave a five-point proposal over constitution of the next EC and proposed making a law regarding constitution of the new EC.
Other major parties that joined the talks were Liberal Democratic Party (LDP), Workers Party (WP), Bangladesh Nationalist Front (BNF), Islami Oikya Jote (IOJ), Jatiya Party (Manju), Bangladesh Tarikat Federation (BTF), Bangladesh Jatiya Party (BJP) Bangladesher Samyabadi Dal (BSD), National Awami Party (NAP), Communist Party of Bangladesh (CPB), Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal (JSD), Gano Forum (GF), Ganotontri Party (GP), Bangladesh Khelafat Andolan (BKA), Bikalpa Dhara Bangladesh (BDB), Islami Andolan Bangladesh (IAB), Bangladesher Samajtantrik Dal (BSD), Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal (Ambia), Bangladesh Islami Front (BIF), Zaker Party (ZP) and Bangladesh Muslim League (BML), Khilafat Majlish and Jamiat e Ulama e Islam Bangladesh.
More News »
- সকাল বেলা যে খাবারে ছেলেদের বীর্যের পরিমান বেশি হয়। জানুন কিভাবে খাবেন। ছেলেদের জানা দরকার।
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby