President stresses good ties among parties for democracy
DHAKA : President Abdul Hamid today said the political parties should have cordial relations among themselves for the common goal of public welfare and democratic dispensation.
The President said this as he held talks separately with Bangladesh National Awami Party (BNAP), Bangladesh Khelafat Majlish (BKM) and Gono Front (GF) at Bangabhaban as part of his move to take opinions of registered political parties on formation of a new Election Commission (EC).
BNAL came up with an 11-point proposal, BKM placed a five-point proposal while GF a 14-point proposal during their meetings with President over formation of the EC, President’s Press Secretary Joynal Abedin said in a press briefing.
President Abdul Hamid said cordial relationship among political parties is a must for democracy in the country. He said different political parties have given their different opinions over the formation of EC and hoped that these proposals and opinions will help formation of a strong EC.
“The aims and objectives of all political parties are the same – public welfare. So, political parties should take initiatives to reach a consensus in this regard,” the President said during the meeting with BNAP. Placing the party’s proposals at the meeting, BNAP secretary general M Golam Mostafa Bhuiyan proposed formation of a 5 to 7- member search committee for the constitution of next EC.
BNAP also proposed making a law for formation of a neutral and strong EC aiming to hold free, fair and neutral elections in the country. Earlier, the President held a meeting with Bangladesh Khelafat Majlish (BKM) over formation of EC.
BKM proposed formulation of a law and rules for formation of EC. Its other proposals include setting up a separate secretariat for EC, appointing honest and neutral persons as election commissioners and constituting the EC on the basis of consensus.
During the meeting with the President, the 10-member delegation of GF led by its chairman Md Zakir Hossain proposed making a suitable law for formation of EC, ensuring full independence of the Commission, constituting EC with people who are honest and believe in the spirit of Liberation War and constituting a nine-member EC with three women representatives and introducing Electronic Voting Machine (EVM) system in elections. Secretaries concerned to the President were present.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem