President for political consensus for peaceful polls
DHAKA : President Abdul Hamid said consensus among political parties is important apart from forming a strong Election Commission (EC) to hold elections in a free and fair manner.
The President made the comment while holding talks with Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal (JSD) as part of his move to take opinion from the registered political parties for formation of the next EC today, the President’s press secretary Joynal Abedin told reporters after the meeting.
JSD President ASM Abdur Rab led the party’s 10-member delegation at the discussion held at the Darbar Hall of Bangabhaban.
During the hour-long meeting, the JSD placed a three-point proposal, including enactment of a law as a permanent solution to formation of EC.
ASM Abdur Rab said dialogue is important for democracy as well as fair polls.
President Abdul Hamid thanked the JSD delegation for their constructive proposals over the formation of a new EC.
The President initiated the formal talks with political parties for the formation of EC holding the first discussion with BNP on December 18 last year.
The tenure of the current Kazi Rakibuddin Ahmad-led EC expires in February.
Secretaries concerned to the President were present.
Meanwhile, the discussion with Bikalpa Dhara Bangladesh (BDB) scheduled for today (Saturday) has been shifted to January 9 following a request from BDB, said the press secretary.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem