President for consensus among political parties on national issues
DHAKA, Jan 9, 2017 (BSS) – President Abdul Hamid today said consensus among political parties is urgently needed on different important national issues.
The President said this when leaders of Bangladesher Samajtantrik Dal (BSD) met him at Bangabhaban as part of his move to take opinion of registered political parties on formation of next Election Commission (EC).
BSD General Secretary Khalequzzaman led the party’s 10-member delegation in the discussion held at the Darbar Hall of Bangabhaban.
During the 30-minute meeting, the BSD placed a five-point proposal over the formation of a search committee and the new EC.
The proposals include enacting a law as per the constitution to appoint election commissioners, constituting a nine-member EC instead of existing five members, keeping separate allocation for EC in the national budget and appointing election commissioners who believe in the four principles of the country’s constitution.
President Abdul Hamid thanked the BSD delegation for their constructive proposals over EC formation.
Later, the President held talks with Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal (Ambia) at the Darbar Hall of Bangabhaban.
During the 35-minute meeting, the Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal placed a five-point proposal over the formation of a search committee and the new EC.
They proposed forming a search committee with the heads of constitutional organizations and former Chief Election Commissioners.
The party’s proposals include appointing election commissioners in phases to maintain continuity of EC, constituting the EC with people having administrative experience and loyalty to the spirit of Liberation War.
The delegation appreciated the President’s discussion initiative and said that the steps have created expectation among the people. They hoped that the President would be able to fulfill the expectation through forming a strong and acceptable EC.
President Hamid said the confidence and trust of common people on EC is important for holding a fair poll and hoped that the opinion and proposals of political parties will play a positive role in this regard.
Secretaries concerned to the President were present.
The President initiated the formal talks with political parties for the formation of EC through holding discussions with BNP on December 18 last year.
He took the dialogue initiative as the tenure of the current Kazi Rakibuddin Ahmad-led EC expires in February.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem