Police foil hartal supporters’ demo in city: 5 hurt
Dhaka : Police foiled an attempt of Pragatishil Chhatra Jote, a platform of leftist student organisations, to stage demonstrations in front of Shahbagh intersection demanding cancellation of Rampal power plant project during National Committee’s hartal in the city.
Witnesses said the activists of Pragatishil Chhatra Jote brought out a procession in front of TSC around 7 am and tried to march towards Shahbagh intersection in support of hartal enforced by the National Committee to Protect Oil-Gas-Natural Resources and Power-Port.
When the procession reached in front of the National Museum police obstructed them, leading to a scuffle.
At one stage, police fired robber bullets, tear gas shells and water cannons to disperse them.
Pragatishil Chhatra Jote leaders claimed that five people ,including Lucky Akter, central leader of Dhaka University Chhatra Union and Umme Habiba Benazir, president of DU Chhatra Union, were injured in the police action.
The half-day hartal enforced by the National Committee to Protect Oil-Gas-Natural Resources and Power-Port demanding cancellation of Rampal power plant project near the Sundarbans is underway in the city.
The committee also urged all to extend their support to them.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem