“Obaidul Quader’s statement is totally false”
Dhaka : Terming baseless Obaidul Quader’s comment that BNP during its dialogue with the President proposed ex-Chief Justice KM Hasan’s name to include him in the search committee, the party on Sunday demanded withdrawal of the remark.
“Obaidul Quader’s statement is totally false. I think he should withdraw his comment,” said BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir on Sunday.
Fakhrul said this while speaking at a discussion at Dhaka Reporters’ Unity arranged by Zia Smriti Pathagar marking its 4th founding anniversary, reports UNB.
Earlier in the day, Awami League general secretary Obaidul Quader at a programme at Mahanagar Natyamancha said: “You (Khaleda) have proposed the name of ex-chief justice KM Hasan whom you wanted to make your chief adviser, to include in the search committee. Was not KM Hasan the international affairs adviser of BNP? Then who is neutral? Who is biased?”
Reacting to his comment, Fakhrul said, “Then I want to ask Mr Quader whether they’ve any secret link with the President so that the search committee could be formed in discussion with Awami League. If so there’s no need to form any search committee.”
He warned that if a subservient search committee and the Election Commission (EC) are formed as per Awami League’s advice, the country’s people will never accept it.
President Abdul Hamid initiated dialogue with political parties over the formation of the new EC by holding the first meeting with BNP on December 18. The dialoged ended a month later with the discussions with 31 political parties.
After the talks with President, BNP also voiced its happiness over the outcome of the parley, and said its chairperson proposed some specific names for the search committee. But, neither the BNP nor the Bangabhaban has so far disclosed the names.
Earlier at a discussion, BNP standing committee member Khandaker Mosharraf Hossain said their party hopes that the President will form an independent and neutral search committee to constitute a stronger Election Commission as per the hopes and aspirations of the political parties and people.
Jatiyatabadi Mohila Dal organised the discussion at the DRU, marking BNP founder Ziaur Rahman’s 81st birth anniversary.
Mosharraf said it will be another ‘submissive and spineless Rakibuddin-styled EC’, if the search committee is formed in consultation with Awami League.
The BNP leader also said people will not sit idle this time if they are made frustrated by making an unacceptable and controversial EC. “It won’t be possible for Awami League to hang onto power for a long time by deceiving people and snatching their voting rights.
More News »
- সকাল বেলা যে খাবারে ছেলেদের বীর্যের পরিমান বেশি হয়। জানুন কিভাবে খাবেন। ছেলেদের জানা দরকার।
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby