Month-long Amar Ekushey Book Fair begins today
DHAKA : Curtain of the month-long Amar Ekushey Book Fair, 2017, will be raised today as Bangla Academy is set to stage its annual extravaganza on its premises and at Suhrawardy Udyan.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina is expected to inaugurate the fair at 3 pm on the premises of Bangla Academy.
The premier will also distribute prizes among the winners of ‘Bangla Academy Sahitya Puroshkar 2016′ and inaugurate a 4-day International Literature Conference 2017.
“Ocean of Sorrow”, translation of noted Bengali novelist Mir Mosharraf Hossain’s famous novel “Bishad Sindhu” and “Hundred Poems From Bangladesh”, published from Germany, will be handed over to the prime minister at the function.
Dong You Chen, Chinese researcher and translator on Rabindranath Tagore’s works, Austrian Menfred Kebo, Luz Maria Lopez from Puerto Rica and Indian essayist Chinmoy Guha will join the inaugural function as guests of honour.
Bangla Academy Director General Shamsuzzaman Khan told BSS that
preparations for Amar Ekushey Boi Mela-2017 (Book Fair-2017) are at final stage on the Bangla Academy premises and Suhrawardy Udyan as the fair will kick off today.
Apart from Bangla Academy premises, around 4,00,000 square feet area on Suhrawardy Udyan was earmarked for the fair, he said.
The Suhrawardy Udyan part of the fair has been decorated with 12 (Chattar) divisions. Some 663 units have been allotted to 409 institutions at the academy and Suhrawardy Udyan premises.
Besides, 14 publication houses including Bangla Academy are given 15 pavilions covering an area of total 6, 000 square feet. Some 100 little magazines have been allocated spaces at the Little Magazine Corner, south side of Burdwan House on the academy premises.
Children corner at the Suhrawardy Udyan has been decorated gorgeously with colorful lightings and toys of children this year like the previous years. During the month-long fair, every Friday and Saturday will be observed as Shishu Prohor (children hour).
About the prices of books, the Bangla Academy DG said 30 percent
commission will be given on books published by the academy while 25 percent commission for other publications’ books.
Two main entry gates have been erected at Teacher-Student Centre (TSC) of Dhaka University and Doyel Chattar while three gates will be at Bangla Academy and eight gates at Suhrawardy Udyan at entry and exit points.
Stringent security measures, including closed-circuit camera surveillance, have been taken to avert any untoward incident during the fair.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem