Men more prone to infertility due to less sleep
Men are more likely to have infertility with less sleep than women, said IVF experts. According to them, sleep seems to have an impact on male fertility and snoring may be the first sign.
“Studies show that men, who have disturbed sleep may have sperm counts equal to only 70 percent, compared to those who sleep normal, and are less likely to impregnate their partner,” said Sagarika Agarwal, IVF Expert at city-based Indira IVF Hospital. Stating that testosterone is a male hormone that is crucial for reproduction, Agarwal said that majority of daily testosterone release in men occurs during sleep.
“Total sleep time, thus, has been positively linked with testosterone levels. As per studies, those who suffered disturbed sleep with less than six hours a night also had lower sperm quality. Poor sleep interferes with the body’s ability to produce sperm,” said Agarwal.
Shivani Rai from the Gynaecology Department of the city-based Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital said that male infertility is usually caused by problems that affect either sperm production or sperm transport.
“Poor sleep for more than three weeks may cause lower sperm count, deformity in shape and decreased the ability to move ahead. Either low numbers of sperm are made or the sperm that is made do not work properly,” said Rai.
Apart from lower sperm count, Rai also said that poor sleep duration could also contribute to an unhealthy lifestyle, decreased libido and a decrease in sex.
Appropriate sleep hours of at least seven to nine hours helps optimise men’s fertility and their chances of contributing to a pregnancy.
According to Vipin Chandra, another city-based Consultant of Gynaecologist, sperm transport problems is found in 30 percent of the males. “Blockages (often referred to as obstructions) in the tubes that take sperms away from the testes to the penis can cause a complete lack of sperm in the ejaculated semen. A sedentary lifestyle contributes to it.”
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem