Captain suffers fractured thumb
Dhaka: Bangladesh limited overs cricket skipper Mashrafe Mortaza has been diagnosed a fractured right thumb who was doubtful after an Anderson drive crashed into his hand during the 18th over of the first innings in the third and final T-20 International against New Zealand on Sunday.
After the primary medical treatment, it seemed the injury was not anything serious; Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) also thought so. But, Mortaza, after going through an X-ray right after the game, was ruled out of action for four to six weeks.
‘Mashrafe had an X-ray done immediately after the match and the report has confirmed a fractured right metacarpal. Recovery is expected to take between four to six weeks and will be followed by a short rehab. The injured area will be put in a caste as he recovers,’ said Bangladesh physio Dean Conway.
Mashrafe has been suffering from continuous injuries for the last 16 years and he has fought back every time. He has had operations on his legs, knees and ankles seven times.
Meanwhile, Mashrafe’s New Zealand series has come to an end as he has not been playing long version cricket for a long time.
Openers Tamim Iqbal and Imrul Kayes will also be assessed over the next 48 hours, as both hurt themselves during New Zealand batting.
‘Tamim’s thumb is aching but the X-ray report came normal. We will review his condition after 48 hours,’ Conway said.
Kayes injured his knee when he crashed into the advertising hoardings as he tried to haul in an Anderson six. But, he didn’t need a knee scan.
The fitness of the two openers will be a massive worry for the visitors, with just three days to go for the first Test in Wellington, starting from January 12.
Bangladesh might have a tour to Sri Lanka this year.
More News »
- Watch! Shahid-Kangana's steamy romance in 'Yeh Ishq Hai'
- See the Hottest celebrity bikini bodies (Photo Gallery)
- Lock your lips in these many ways
- Celebrities Who Love Watching Porn
- Actor Kalyan Corraya gets bail
- Want to reduce your BP and cholesterol, start eating blue maize
- Jewelleries that can dazzle your look, this 2017!
- President for highlighting country's history, heritage in film
- Wear your leather jacket stylishly
- Busting common myths about sunglasses
- Affleck's sex scenes with Miller ended in tears
- Finding love, not money, key to a happy life
- Contraceptives do not kill sexual desire
- Sonam hates removing make-up after parties!
- ‘Dangal’ inching closer to 350 Crore mark, creates HISTORY