India school bus crash kills at least 15 children
NEW DELHI : At least 15 children were killed and dozens more injured when a school bus collided with a a truck in northern India on Thursday, police said.
The driver of the bus also died in the crash, the latest deadly accident in a country with one of the worst road safety records in the world.
“Tragic road accident in Aliganj, Etah. Over 15 school kids feared dead. Rescue of injured ongoing,” tweeted Javeed Ahmed, director general of police in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh where the crash occurred.
Police in Etah district subsequently confirmed via direct Twitter message that 15 children had died and said the number could increase to 20.
It is not yet clear what had caused the vehicles to crash, although collisions are a common occurrence on winter mornings, when northern India is frequently blanketed with thick fog.
Road accidents killed nearly 150,000 people in India last year, around 400 a day, according to the data from ministry of road transport and highways.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted his condolences to the victims’ families.
“Anguished by the tragic accident in UP’s Etah district,” he said. “I pray for those injured in the accident in Etah recover at the earliest.”
More News »
- সকাল বেলা যে খাবারে ছেলেদের বীর্যের পরিমান বেশি হয়। জানুন কিভাবে খাবেন। ছেলেদের জানা দরকার।
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby