HR situation worse than HRW depicted: BNP
Dhaka : BNP on Sunday claimed that the US-based Human Rights Watch (HRW) in its annual report depicted Bangladesh’s ‘true’ human rights scenario, though the party thinks the real situation is ‘more awful’.
“BNP thinks the real scenario is more terrible than the facts the HRW report projected. The current autocratic regime has continued its repression on opposition activists, though the local and international organisations are repeatedly raising voice against it,” said BNP senior joint secretary general Ruhul Kabir Rizvi.
He came up with the remarks while speaking at a press briefing at BNP’s Nayapaltan central office, reports UNB.
The HRW, in its World Report 2017, posted on its website on Thursday, slammed the government for clamping down on media and civil society, and also for detaining, maiming, killing, and disappearing opposition leaders and activists.
It also said Bangladesh authorities failed to protect bloggers, secularists, academics, gay rights activists, and religious minorities from violent – often fatal – attacks by militant groups.
Supporting the findings of the HRW report, Rizvi said the government is least bothered about the facts projected by human rights activists as it has got isolated from people.
He warned that the global community and the country’s people have started raising their voice against the government’s injustice, misdeeds and repressive acts.
“The day is not far away when people from the grassroots will wage a movement against the government’s repressive acts. It won’t be possible to cling to power by resorting to repression and injustice,” the BNP leader added.
He also criticised Awami League general secretary Obaidul Quader for giving direction not to hold any programmes on the streets, saying such a directive was given only to block BNP’s rally and other programmes.
“The order was also given to snatch people’s language of protest. This is another step forward for squeezing democracy,” Rizvi observed.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem