HC to assess Oishee’s mental state
Dhaka : Oishee Rahman, on death row for murdering her parents, produced before the court on Monday as the High Court will observe her mental condition following a report on her mental health.
Earlier, on 3 April, an HC bench of Justice Jahangir Hossain Selim and Justice Md. Jahangir Hossain sked the authorities concerned to produce Oishee Rahman before the court on 10 April during a hearing on Oishee’s appeal against the verdict passed by a lower court and death reference.
Advocate Afzal H Khan and Advocate Sujit Chattarjee stood for Oishee while deputy attorney general Zahirul Haq Zahir represented the state.
Sujit Chattarjee said according to a report on her mental condition, it is said that Oishee was not mentally fit when the incident occurred. The report was placed before the court.
Deputy attorney general Zahirul Haq Zahir said following a writ petition filed by a human rights activist, an HC bench asked the authorities concerned of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Medical College to examine the mental health of Oishee. The report said Oishee was mentally disturbed when the incident happened.
Earlier, on March 12, the High Court started hearing the death reference, and the appeal of condemned convict Oishee Rahman against the death penalty awarded to her for killing her parents—police officer Mahfuzur Rahman and his wife Swapna Rahman — in 2013.
Earlier on 12 November in 2015, Judge Syed Ahmed of the Speedy Trial Tribunal-3 sentenced Oishee Rahman to death. The tribunal also fined her Tk 20,000.
Later, the relevant documents reached the ‘death reference’ section of the HC on 19 November.
Besides, the tribunal sentenced Mizanur Rahman Rony to two years’ imprisonment and fined him Tk 5,000, in default, to suffer one month more jail, as an accomplice in the twin murder, and acquitted one Asaduzzaman Johny.
On 16 August, 2013, police recovered the bodies of SB Inspector Mahfuzur Rahman and his wife Swapna Rahman from their Chamelibagh residence in the capital.
Later, Oishee surrendered to police confessing her involvement in the killing.
On 6 December, 2015, the condemned convict Oishee filed an appeal with the High Court against the tribunal verdict.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem