HC commutes 2 peoples’ death sentence over Rakib killing
Dhaka : The High Court (HC) on Tuesday commuted the death sentence of Azam Reza to life term imprisonment in the case filed over the killing of 12-year-old Rakib Hawlader.
The court also fined them TK 50,000 each and ordered to pay the money to Rakib’s family members.
An HC bench comprising Justice Jahangir Hossain and Justice M Jahangir Hossain announced the verdict in the morning.
Earlier, on 29 March, the same bench fixed the date for delivering the order after concluding the hearing.
The HC started the hearing on the death reference and appeals of the condemned convicts in the case on 10 January.
On 8 November 2015, Khulna Metropolitan Magistrate’s Court handed down death penalty to two people for killing Rakib by pumping air into his rectum.
On 3 August, 2015, Rakib’s former employer Md Sharif and his uncle Mintu Mia stripped the boy naked, inserted a high‐pressure air pump nozzle into his rectum and filled the body with air. Rakib’s intestines tore apart and lungs burst as air filled the abdomen, which left him dead.
The killing incident sparked outrage all over the country.
The death references of Rakib killing case reached the HC on 10 November, 2015.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem