Election Commission staged all polls neutrally: CEC
DHAKA : Outgoing Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) Kazi Raquibuddin Ahmed today said his commission held all elections that took place in its tenure in a free, fair and neutral manner as per the oath as he called on Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina at her office.
“When we assumed office we took an oath that we will hold all elections neutrally and we have kept our promise by staging all elections that took place in our tenure in a free, fair and neutral manner,” he said.
Raquibuddin led the outgoing Election Commission called on the premier at her Jatiya Sangsad Office this evening.
After the meeting, PM’s Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim briefed reporters.
Citing reference of holding five city corporation polls, the CEC said the BNP which won that city corporation polls thanked the Election Commission for holding that elections in a free, fair and neutral manner.
Regarding the 10th Jatiya Sangsad elections, Raquibuddin said 12 political parties joined the election and the Election Commission completed the elections with firm steps.
“Despite severe violence unleashed by the political parties which boycotted the polls, we completed the January 5 polls with firm steps to uphold the constitution,” the CEC said.
In this connection, he mentioned the killing of policemen, election officers and torching of 582 polling centres by the parties which skipped the elections.
While talking about the local government body polls, Kazi Raquibuddin said except some stray incidents, those polls were held in a free, fair and impartial manner.
The CEC thanked the prime minister for not making any interference in the Election Commission and not violating the election code of conduct during any elections held during the tenure of the outgoing commission.
The prime minister thanked the Election Commission for working courageously to hold the elections free, fair and neutral manner.
Sheikh Hasina also said her government has been working tirelessly to ensure development, progress and prosperity of the countrymen.
Four election commissioners and EC secretary were present on the occasion.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem