CPJ, IFJ demand investigation into journo Shimul killing
Dhaka : Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) has said Bangladesh authorities should vigorously investigate and bring to justice those responsible for killing Abdul Hakim Shimul, a journalist for the daily Samakal newspaper.
“This shooting took place before many witnesses, and police have reportedly seized the weapon and identified its owner,” said Steven Butler, CPJ Asia programme coordinator.
“There can be no excuse for failing to swiftly bring the perpetrators to justice,” Butler was quoted as saying in a message released from Washington.
The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) and the Bangladesh Manobadhikar Sangbadik Forum (BMSF) also strongly condemned the killing of Abdul Hakim.
The IFJ demanded immediate arrest and punishment of the perpetrators, according to a statement posted on its website.
“The IFJ strongly condemns violence which cost the life of colleague Abdul Hakim Shimul who was only doing his job,” said IFJ General Secretary, Anthony Bellanger.
“This is a sad reminder of the sacrifice journalists make across the world, paying the ultimate price to inform their public. We send our condolences to his family for the loss of Shimul and his grandmother. We further urge the authorities the circumstances in which guns were discharged in the public place, with such a devastating consequence.”
Abdul Hakim, who sustained bullet wounds during a clash between two associate bodies of Awami League in Shahjadpur on Thursday, succumbed to his injuries around 1:00pm on Friday while being taken to Dhaka from Shaheed Ziaur Rahman Medical College, Bogra for better treatment.
Since CPJ began keeping records in 1992, at least 20 journalists have been killed in Bangladesh in direct relation to their work.
In addition to Abdul Hakim’s death, CPJ is investigating the deaths of another nine journalists to determine whether they were related to the journalists’ work.
More News »
- সকাল বেলা যে খাবারে ছেলেদের বীর্যের পরিমান বেশি হয়। জানুন কিভাবে খাবেন। ছেলেদের জানা দরকার।
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby