Chairmen of 59 district council take oath
DHAKA : First ever elected chairmen of 59 district
councils have taken oath today.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina administered the oath at a function at Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) here this morning.
The elections to 59 district councils were held on December 28 after 16 years of passing the relevant law in 2000. It was the first direct election in the 131-year history of the district council.
Elections to Kushtia and Bogra district councils were not held due to legal complications while elections to three hill district councils are held under a separate law.
Oath of the elected members of the district council would be held on January 18.
Rural Development and Cooperatives Minister Khandaker Mosharraf Hossain and Minister for Road Transport and Bridges Obaidul Quader were present on the occasion conducted by Abdul Malek, secretary of the LGRD Ministry.
Cabinet members, PM’s advisors, presidents and general secretaries of district chapters of Awami League and senior government officials were present.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem