Canada court verdict proves no corruption in Padma Bridge
Dhaka : Former Communications Minister Syed Abul Hossain on Saturday said the Canadian court verdict over Padma Bridge Corruption Case proved that the allegations brought against him were totally false and intriguing.
“World Bank made fabricated allegations against me on the basis of few made up news of Bangladeshi newspapers. The allegations were not only false rather a conspiracy,” he said in a statement.
His remarks came after a Canadian court acquitted three former top executives of SNC-Lavalin as no proof of bribery was found in an international case in connection with the Padma Multi Purpose Bridge construction in Bangladesh.
The former minister said he had become a victim of conspiracy hatched by World Bank and a vested quarter of Bangladesh.
“This plot has tarnished my reputation and dignity and hindered my way to discharge my duty with sincerity. The conspirators were out to humiliate me before the society,” he said.
An Ontario Superior Court justice dismissed the corruption case on Friday at the prosecution’s request as Kevin Wallace, Ramesh Shah, and Zulfiquar Ali Bhuiyan had pleaded not guilty, reports CBS news.
Last month, Superior Court Justice Ian Nordheimer ruled that wiretap evidence had to be excluded.
As a result, the prosecution on Friday elected to call no evidence and the accused were acquitted, a prosecution spokeswoman said.
Wallace, a former vice-president of SNC-Lavalin, was initially arrested and charged in 2013.
Earlier on June 2012, the World Bank (WB) cancelled its 1.2 billion US dollar credit for the Padma bridge project bringing a charge of having evidence of a “corruption conspiracy”.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem