BNP to take to streets if EC formed ignoring people’s desire
Dhaka : Sounding a note of warning, BNP senior leader Shamsuzzaman Dudu on Monday said their party will take to the streets if Election Commission is not formed in line with people’s hopes and aspirations.
“Forming an impartial Election Commission is the first step of a fair and neutral election,” he said while speaking at a human chain programme in front of the Jatiya Press Club, arranged by Jatiyatabadi Desh Bachao Manush Bachao Andolan demanding formation of a neutral Election Commission (EC).
He urged the Prime Minister to assist the President in constituting a strong and neutral Commission to restore people’s confidence in the statuary body.
The BNP leader said the country’s people now want a neutral election so that they can cast their votes in a congenial atmosphere with a festive mood.
Addressing the gathering, the BNP leader hoped that the Narayanganj seven-murder case verdict will help establish the rule of law by removing fear and helplessness from public mind.
“I think the Narayanganj seven-murder case verdict will play an important role in dispelling people’s fear and helplessness regarding the establishment of the rule of law,” he said.
Dudu, however, said no final remark should be made about the lower court verdict until it is implemented after completing all the legal steps.
Earlier in the day, a Narayanganj court sentenced 26 people, including ex-city councillor Nur Hossain, to death and nine others to different jail terms in the two cases filed over the sensational seven-murder incident.
Dudu, a BNP vice chairman said the trial of all the incidents of murder, enforced disappearance and other unfair acts should be held to ensure the rule of law.
He criticised the government for evicting hawkers from Gulistan and Motijheel areas without creating alternative jobs for them.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem