BNP not to join polls under Sheikh Hasina
Dhaka : Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) senior leader Gayeshwar Chandra Roy on Saturday hinted that their party will not join the next general election if it is held under Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
“We could have joined the polls in 2014 had we accepted elections under Sheikh Hasina. Why should we participate now in such polls now five years later?” he said.
Gayeshwar, a BNP standing committee member, came up with the comment while talking to reporters after placing wreaths at BNP founder Ziaur Rahman’s grave with leaders and activists of Jatiyatabadi Tanti Dal, marking its 37th founding anniversary.
He said their party policymakers are yet to hold a meeting to discuss the framework of election-time supportive government. “We’ll finalise it at our party forum.”
The BNP leader said the government has implicated BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia, senior vice chairman Tarique Rahman and other party senior leaders in ‘false’ cases with a motive to keep them away from politics.
He said they will face the cases both politically alongside legal fight.
Gayeshwar criticised Awami League general secretary Obaidul Quader for his comment that election and constitution will not wait for Khaleda Zia, saying it is his political rhetoric.
“Voters did not go to polling stations during January-5 polls in 2014. They’ll do the same if such an election is held again…no election will be held in the country without Khaleda Zia’s participation in it,” he claimed.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem