BNP accuses govt of pampering militancy
BNP on Monday alleged that the government is pampering militancy to take advantage of it.
“If you’re really sincere to eliminate militancy, hunt down the real offenders through fair investigation what BNP did during 2005-06. But you’re not doing it. You’re deliberately premièring such activities to take political advantage,” said BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir, UNB reports.
He came up with the allegation while unveiling the cover of a book titled ‘Fighting Militancy in Quest of Peace’ at Dhaka Reporters Unity (DRU). BNP’s human rights cell published the book.
Fakhrul said their party has long been saying that militancy and terrorism will emerge and expand if democracy is not restored in the country. “A national unity is necessary to tackle it,” he said urging the government to forge the unity.
He also urged the government to restore democracy in the country so that people can exercise their franchise, speak openly and employ all of their democratic rights.
Questioning the probe against arrested militant suspects, the BNP leader said all of them were shot to death in crossfire after their arrest.
He called upon the government to properly investigate and find out the real militants to root out militancy from the country.
Fakhrul alleged that militancy is now being used as a tool to subdue political opponents, urging all to remain alert in this regard through uniting people.
BNP vice-chairmen Khandker Mahbub Hossain and Selima Rahman, Shawkat Mahmud and ex-Dhaka University Vice-chancellor AFM Yusuf Haider, among others, spoke at the programme.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem