BGMEA seeks 3 years to demolish building
BGMEA to file a petition on Thursday asking for a time extension of 3 years before they demolish the current building as per the SC directive.
Bangladesh garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA) will file a petition on Thursday asking for a time extension of 3 years before they demolish the current building as per the Supreme Court directive.
President of BGMEA Siddiqur Rahman on Sunday responded after the Supreme Court upheld it’s decision, saying: “As per the court’s directive, we will file a petition seeking a minimum of 3 years to demolish the building.
“The logistics involved in moving the office is huge, since missing even one day of work could adversely affect the reputation of Bangladesh’s RMG sector abroad.
“That in turn would affect the lives of 4.4 million RMG workers and cost us millions of dollars in lost revenue.”
The president of BGMEA said they were close to finding a new location for their office preferably in Uttara or Purbachal.
During the hearing, the Supreme Court also asked BGMEA to file a petition by Thursday to inform the court on the amount of time it would take to demolish the building and the hearing on that petition will also take place the same day.
A BGMEA leader seeking anonymity told the Dhaka Tribune the land selection will be finalised by the end of this month, with Uttara being the preferred location.
BGMEA vice president Mohammad Nasir informed that once the land is selected they will buy it from the government and start building the new office.
“We only ask that the court considers our logistical problems of buying and then building the new office and gives us the necessary time needed to do so,” he added.
As per the court directive, BGMEA has to demolish the current building at its own cost. BGMEA will also have to compensate owners of the floor who file for compensation.
More News »
- সকাল বেলা যে খাবারে ছেলেদের বীর্যের পরিমান বেশি হয়। জানুন কিভাবে খাবেন। ছেলেদের জানা দরকার।
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby