Bangladesh recall Mustafiz, Rubel for Lanka Tests
Sports Desk : Bangladesh on Tuesday recalled their left-arm fast bowler Mustafizur Rahman and Rubel Hossain in a 16-man squad for the upcoming two-Test series in Sri Lanka after his prolonged injury lay-off.
The 21-year-old Mustafiz has not played a Test since his debut series against South Africa in 2015 after suffering a series of injuries. He underwent surgery on his shoulder last year.
While he made a brief return to the limited-overs side against New Zealand at the turn of the year, he was not deemed fit enough to withstand the rigours of a five-day Test match.
Bangladesh are due to play two Tests against the Sri Lankans — one in Galle from March 7-11 and another in the capital Colombo which starts on March 15 and will be their 100th Test match.
They are then scheduled to play three 50-over ODIs before facing off for two Twenty20 international matches at the tailend of the tour, which wraps up on April 6.
The selectors also handed fast bowler Rubel Hossain a recall after he was ignored for Bangladesh’s recent defeat in a one-off Test against India, meaning there are five pacemen in the squad.
“We think we would require an extra pacer in testing conditions in Sri Lanka,” said chief selector Minhajul Abedin.
Opening batsman Imrul Kayes was not named in the squad after he failed to recover sufficiently from a thigh injury picked up in India. But Abedin said he could be called up for the second Test if he regains fitness.
Squad: Mushfiqur Rahim (capt), Tamim Iqbal, Soumya Sarkar, Mominul Haque, Mahmudullah Riyad, Shakib Al Hasan, Sabbir Rahman, Liton Das, Taijul Islam, Taskin Ahmed, Kamrul Islam, Mustafizur Rahman, Mehedi Hasan, Mosaddek Hossain, Subashis Roy and Rubel Hossain.
The match-schedule is as follows:
2-3 March: 2-day warm up match at Moratuwa Cricket Stadium
7-11 March: 1st Test at Galle International Stadium
15-19 March: 2nd Test at P Sara Oval International Stadium, Colombo
22 March: 1-day warm up match at Colombo
25 March: 1st ODI at Rangiri Dambulla International Stadium (Day-Night)
28 March: 2nd ODI at Rangiri Dambulla International Stadium (Day-Night)
1 April: 3rd ODI at Sinhalese Sports Club Ground (SSC), Colombo
4 April: 1st T20 at R Premadasa International Cricket Stadium (RPICS), Colombo
6 April: 2nd T20 at R Premadasa International Cricket Stadium (RPICS), Colombo
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem