Accept demand, buy meat at Tk 300 per kg
Dhaka: Meat traders on Friday claimed that they will be able sell beef at Tk 300 per kg if their four-point demand is met.
“If our demands are met and the hassles in importing cows from India are removed, we’ll be able to sell beef at Tk 300 per kg or even less,” Bangladesh Meat Traders’ Association secretary general Rabiul Alam told UNB.
He also threatened that they will go on a countrywide indefinite strike if their demands are not met at Sunday’s planned meetings with the Commerce Ministry and Dhaka North City Corporation (DNCC).
“We’ll sit in separate meetings with Commerce Minister Tofail Ahmed and the DNCC officials on Sunday to discuss our four-point demand. If the meetings end inconclusively, we’ll go on an indefinite strike across the country to press for our demands,” said Rabiul.
Bangladesh Meat Sellers’ Association and Dhaka Metropolitan Meat Sellers’ Association have been on a six-day strike in the capital beginning on Monday last to press for their demands. It is scheduled to end on Saturday.
The demands include stopping charging extra from traders by the Gabtoli Cattle Market lessee and money-laundering to India through Hundi, shifting tannery industries from Hazaribagh to Savar and withdrawing the DNCC chief executive officer and chief estate officer.
Rabiul alleged that Gabtoli Cattle Market lessee Lutfar Rahman has been taking extra money from the cattle traders. “In connivance with the DNCC chief executive officer and chief estate officer, he charges Tk 200-5000 per head instead of government-fixed Tk 50,” he said.
The BMTA secretary general also alleged that hundreds of crore of taka are being smuggled to India through Hundi by a syndicate, led by Kala Moijya. “We’ve to give Tk 6000-7000 as commission for each of cattle to the syndicate members,” he said, adding that the government is losing revenue from it.
Besides, meat traders do not get fair prices for their rawhide for not shifting tannery industries from Hazaribagh, he added.
More News »
- Censor certificate ‘No Bed of Roses’ for Tisha, Irrfan Khan-starrer ‘Doob’
- Mahi’s self-proclaimed husband Shawon acquitted
- What good is playing female genitalia
- Baahubali 2: Prabhas, Anushka Shetty in artistic new poster
- Is your boyfriend secretly accessing your Facebook account?
- How to master the first date
- Madonna applies to adopt 2 kids
- Hollywood set for Oscars picks with no big surprises
- ‘Nayok Raj’ Razzak turns 76
- Skincare routine for grooms
- 5 Upcoming Bollywood Movies
- Sushmita Sen will judge the 65th Miss Universe pageant
- Watch! Shahid-Kangana's steamy romance in 'Yeh Ishq Hai'
- See the Hottest celebrity bikini bodies (Photo Gallery)
- Lock your lips in these many ways