ACC working to stop internal corruption
DHAKA : The Anti-Corruption Committee (ACC) has been working to stop internal corruption aimed at ensuring transparency, accountability and dynamism among the officials and staff of the body.
It has formed a committee titled Internal Anti-Corruption Committee headed by its chairman in accordance with section 19 (1) of the Anti-Corruption Commission Rules, 2007 to consistently monitor, supervise, enquire and investigate into any allegation against its staff.
As per the rules, the commission has been entrusted with the task of making recommendations for taking legal and departmental actions against it officers and staff after conducting thorough enquiry into the allegations.
Two officials of the ACC received major punishment last year while four officials got major punishment and two others received minor punishment in 2015 as per the recommendations of the committee, an ACC official told BSS requesting anonymity.
The major punishment includes dismissal from services, forced retirement, and demotion to lower level of salary scale while the minor punishment is withholding of promotion and salary increment for a certain period.
A total of 21 departmental cases have so far been lodged against ACC staff in 2015 as per the available statistics of the commission. ACC disposed of nine cases with giving major punishments to four of its officials and minor punishment to two others. The three other cases have been disposed of by other ways.
In accordance with the report of Transparency International Bangladesh (TIB), the major concern with regard to ACC’s accountability and oversight is the lack of any external oversight mechanism.
“Although there are instances where the Commission assigned another government agency to investigate into corruption allegation against one of its officials in 2011, and based on the investigation, charge-sheet against the officer was submitted, it is not a regular practice,” it also said.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem