4 get 10-year imprisonment over death of Zihad
DHAKA : A court here today sentenced four persons, including three engineers of Bangladesh Railway, to 10 years rigorous imprisonment in a case filed over the death of a three-year old Zihad after falling into a pipe of an abandoned water pump at Shajahanpur in the city on December 26 in 2014.
Judge Dr. Md Akhteruzzaman of Special Judge Court no-5 delivered the verdict this noon in presence of all the accused.
The court also fined them Taka 2 lakh each and in default they will suffer jail for two more years.
The convicts are: engineers Jahangir Alam, assistant engineer Md Nasiruddin, electrical engineer Zafor Ahmed Shafi of Bangladesh Railways and proprietor of SR House Md Shafiqul Islam alias Abdus Salam.
The court also acquitted two assistant engineers, Saiful Islam and Dipak Kumar Bhowmik, as the allegations against them were not proved.
The lawyers of the defence said they will go to the higher court against the verdict as they were not pleased with the verdict.
Earlier on February 8, the court fixed February 26 (today) for delivering the verdict after completion of the argument of both the prosecution and defence.
A total of 11 persons including Nasiruddin Fakir, father of the victim, gave deposition to the court as prosecution witnesses while Dhaka divisional Engineer Hamidur Rahman of Bangladesh Railway, Joint Secretary Railway Ministry Masud Karim and Railway Director Abdul Haque gave deposition in favour of the accused.
Earlier on December 26, 2014, Jihad died after falling into a 17-inch diameter abandoned shaft, adjacent to his house in Shahjahanpur area while playing with his friends.
Nasiruddin Fakir, father of the victim, filed a case with Shajahanpur Police Station to this end.
Sub Inspector Abu Zafor of Shajahanpur Police Station submitted a charge-sheet before the court accusing Jahangir Alam and Shafiqul Islam on April 7 in 2015.
A ‘naraji’ (no confidence) petition was filed against the charge-sheet demanding inclusion of the names of four others and the court ordered fresh investigation into the matter on the court on June 4, 2015.
After completing fresh investigation into the case, Sub Inspector Mizanur Rahman of Detective Branch (DB) of police submitted a supplementary charge-sheet before the court including names of four others on March 31 in 2016.
The court on October 4 last year took the charge-sheet into cognizance and ordered to initiate the trial of the case.
More News »
- Rape charge: Actor Tanvir Tonu sent to jail
- Hidden sex lives of Iranians revealed in Cannes film
- Jacqueline to decide look for hosting Bieber in India
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017) Watch Online Hindi Dubbed Full Movie
- Lucky Akhand laid to rest
- Homage paid to Lucky Akhand
- Bubly returns home from hospital, to join shooting
- Photo Album: Shakib-Apu-Abram
- Everything kept secret for Apu’s career: Shakib Khan (Live)
- Shakib-Apu's secret marriage sparks web sensation
- Apu Biswas is my wife, Abraham my son: Shakib Khan
- Child’s mine, but I didn’t marry Apu: Shakib Khan
- Apu took 'Islam' to marry Shakib
- Apu Biswas Live with Shakib Khan's Baby
- Aamir not to release Dangal in Pakistan without national anthem